We had a very successful costume sale on Saturday April 12. Thanks to everyone who came out to shop. We raised some money to go towards our costumes for Cabaret and to cover renovation costs. We were also pleased to be able to donate some old wedding dresses to Angel Gowns ACT.
The costume sale was necessary to clear some space that is now taken up by our new rehearsal room. Thanks to everyone who helped out in sorting costumes, setting up and packing after the sale, and putting on a fine bbq. You know who you are. 🙂
Philo's AGM for 2014 was held on Wednesday 26 March at 7.30 pm. Thanks to all our members who came out to The Hut for the first event in our new rehearsal room.
The 2014/15 Committee was elected as follows:
President: Peter Karmel
Vice President: Jim McMullen
Secretary: Anne Macleod
Treasurer: Marie Donnell
Congratulations also to Kate Tricks who was made a life member of the society.
It's been a while since our last post here on the renovation progress but work has nonetheless been underway. We've had helpers out on Sat March 9, Sat/Sun March 15-16 and this past weekend March 23-24.
Work completed since the last update:
- The rehearsal room floor is complete - cracks sanded and varnish applied.
- Gutters have been reattached and rejoined. Drainage issues fixed, fingers crossed.
- Doors painted.
- New wall separating kitchen/foyer from costume space - completed with paint and new sliding door.
- Covered leaking demountable roof with tarp
- Poisoned blackberry regrowth
- Scrap metal stacked into skip, ready for collection along with old trailer and the car from Grease.
- Costume sorting continues - both making space for the foyer/kitchen and sorting surplus items for the sale.
Look forward to officially opening the rehearsal room at our AGM on Wednesday.
As part of our renovation and clean up work, we are sorting through our wardrobe collection and identifying those items which are excess to requirements. You can help us out by attending our costume sale! Items on sale will include costumes, vintage style clothes, military uniforms*, shoes, hats, and even wedding dresses.
Where? At the Wardrobe, 18 Collie Street Fyshwick ACT
When? Saturday, 12 April 2014 10am – 4pm
Payments in cash only. ATMs are available nearby. Please contact with any queries.
Great progress this weekend on laying down all the floorboards, and completing door installations to the adjoining spaces. Next weekend we'll be out again, sealing the floor and affixing the oak skirting board we got here, amongst other things.
Thanks everyone who was able to come out and help. If you’re able to spare some time next weekend, get in touch with us via
We've been having some drainage issues, with water seeping into the costume room during last Tuesday's heavy rains. To investigate and fix required access to the far side of the block. One large blackberry thicket stood in our way.
After many scratches, two trailer loads of rubbish and one broken pair of hedge clippers, we made it through to the other side. We don't think anyone has visited that side of the block for 20 years.
Update and photos from this weekend. Thanks everyone who was able to come out and help. If you’re able to spare some time next weekend, get in touch with us via
- Completed installation of new fluorescent lights. Old lights removed
- Removed blackberry from southern end of block
- Removed dirt and weeds from drainage area along eastern side
- Cut and glued floor joists
- Laid first few floorboards
- Finished painting walls
- Cleared more space in costume room
Work for next week
- Finish flooring
- Fix guttering
- Continue to make space in costume room